How can you reduce the risk of heart disease?
What can I do to lower my risk of heart disease?
- Control your blood pressure. High blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease.
- Keep your cholesterol and triglyceride levels under control.
- Stay at a healthy weight.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get regular exercise.
- Limit alcohol.
- Don’t smoke.
- Manage stress.
What should I eat if I have heart disease?
A heart-healthy diet consists of:
- lots of fruits and vegetables.
- lean meats.
- skinless poultry.
- nuts, beans, and legumes.
- whole grains.
- plant-based oils, such as olive oil.
- low-fat dairy products.