three-year Cardiology is a medical specialty, as opposed to a surgical specialty, so you will be required to complete a three-year internal medicine residency on the road to becoming a cardiologist.Dec 23, 2014
8 Tips for Choosing a Cardiologist
- Get Referrals. Start with your referral list from your primary care doctor.
- Research the Cardiologist's Credentials.
- Consider the Cardiologist's Experience.
- Consider Gender.
- Research Hospital Quality.
- Evaluate Communication Style.
- Read Patient Reviews.
- Know What Your Insurance Covers.
Women currently comprise 14% of practicing cardiologists, 15% of practicing general surgeons, 22% of cardiology trainees, and 38% of general surgical trainees. Female proportions increased by a median 0.3% and 0.9% per annum in cardiology and general surgical trainees, respectively.Feb 19, 2019
To become a cardiologist, you don't go to cardiology residency. Cardiology is one of the most competitive internal medicine fellowships and requires another 3 years of training to complete. In total, you'll be spending 6 years in addition to medical school to become a cardiologist.Dec 1, 2019