To become a cardiologist is not an easy task. Getting through medical school, residency and then getting accepted into the most competitive fellowship program out there is tough.Jun 11, 2017
Cardiology is a medical discipline that deals with the study of all things related to the heart. While medical science itself is a highly competitive and challenging discipline, cardiology is, with the possible exception of neurology, the most difficult sub-discipline that comes to mind.
15 Shortest Residency Programs in the World
- Pathology: 4 years.
- Psychiatry: 4 years.
- General Surgery: 5 years.
- Orthopedic Surgery: 5 years (includes 1 year of general surgery)
- Otolaryngology (ENT): 5 years.
- Urology: 5 years (includes 1 year of general surgery)
- Plastic Surgery: 6 years.
- Neurosurgery: 7 years.
Steps leading to the cardiologist are as follows:
- Earns a bachelor degree with MBBS after 10+2.
- Get the admission in PG course leading to Doctor of Medicine (MD) in general medicine.
- After finishing three-year degree of MD, go for the super specialty course of 3-year DM in Cardiology to be a Cardiologist.